[Gllug] Diagnosing a network error - was Powerline homeplug

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 18:07:16 UTC 2008

On Sat 13 Dec, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> I then thought maybe I ought to have the other end connected into the
> switch on a crossover and not a patch cable. Bought a crossover, tested
> it and thought I'd fixed it (only 2% packet loss on first 100 pings),
> only to have the performance then collapse (50% packet loss on the next
> 100).

   The crossover cable probably has two pairs crossed instead of four.
Recent systems are auto sensing, use all four pairs, and may not need any
crossed. Have you tried moving both ends of the link close together for
another test? Is there any equipment around that could generate
interference, such as lighting dimmers? I understand that even units with
the same brand name may not be compatible.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk