[Gllug] While we're on the subject of racks

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 29 12:52:35 UTC 2008

2008/12/29 James Hawtin <oolon at ankh.org>

> If your worried about the floor loading, transfering some of the weight to
> the wall is a good move, so long as you have access load baring wall not a
> stud partition. Many people take the wheels off racks before installing
> them

You should always use a spanner to put down the permament feet on a rack,
ie the feet which move up and down as you screw in our out a big bolt.
You should lift the wheels just clear of the ground - do not rely on wheels
taking all the weight of
a loaded rack.

> Also work out where your joists are, and put your rack over
> as many of them as possible, if you work out the direction they are running
> you can put the rack as close as you can to a load bearing wall, so they
> are
> near the start of the joists.

Yes indeed. With racks that are especially heavy on false floors I've seen
extra supports put in the middle of the tiles.