[Gllug] bar code scanner software for linux

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 09:19:32 UTC 2008

I am afraid this won't be of any help - but all the bar-code readers I have used
in the past have either connected to a PC via the keyboard (and emulated
keyboard scancodes, I assume) or via an RS232 port (and sent ascii characters
usually at 9600bps).   The readers have also been programmable for symbology
and baud-rate, terminating characters (lf/cr) etc via a bar-coded programming
sheet.

The unit you have sounds as if it is designed for a certain purpose only
and probably uses a Windows USB driver written specifically for it.

You may be better off looking on the web for a hand-held reader.
>From memory they are not dirt cheap though, as the readers have to include
firmware to decode the many different barcode symbologies in use.
Pen readers can be iffy in use and the hand-held ones they use in Boots and
the like (CCD scanners) are faster and more reliable.  However they will only
cope with bar-codes of a maximum size, whereas pen scanners can cope with
larger barcodes generally.   It horses for courses here I think.
Cheapest CCD scaners I have seen on the web are about 40quid.  Pens/wands
appear to be a lot more expensive for some reason!

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk