[Gllug] Call for tutor-speakers

Wed Dec 10 10:39:57 UTC 2008

- after "[Gllug] ssh brute force attacks" thread.
How about GLLUG running (in 2009) a lab/tutorial session on 'secure
sockets'*?

This thread generated quite a response, and I suspect many, like
me, were lurking with interest, picking up what we could... Would a
practical, hands-on session with talks, examples, and the opportunity to
play with relevant software, conf files, etc, be useful to GLLUG
members, et al?

I will be prepared to book the Uni computer lab on a suitable date for a
hands-on session. If there is some interest I could ask someone (like a
large ISP) to speak on their views of secure access to hosted data, web
sites, etc (if sufficient interest).

Will you step up to speak on a particular topic and/or to find other
speakers?

Some first thoughts to get the ball rolling:

SSH
- conf files
- passwords, passphrases, tokens...
- ports
- file transfer

VPN
- software
- hardware
- command line/GUI
- remote control

Firewall
- configuration
- port knocking
- routing
- bridging
- DMZ

Certificates
- self-signed
- authorised

Encryption
- algorithms
- costs

Email
- passwords en-clair
- TLS, SSL (POP and IMAP)
- authentication
- encryption
- certificates

Web server
- conf files
- locating inside and outside the web root dir
- certificates
- proxy servers, forward and reverse

Logs
- detecting DOS
- detecting intrusion
- editing out the dross

Other
- protected browsing, eg Firefox's NoScripts extension
- Tor anonymiser

...add your thoughts please.
* and please dream up a better title!

Regards,