[Gllug] Facilities for Free Open Source Beginners

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Thu Jan 17 13:16:50 UTC 2008

Riq wrote:
> There are huge numbers of people who want to
>
> do email
> browse the Internet
> do simple word processing

That be true in the business world and whilst I agree many start out
with those needs: my experience tells me that these kinds of _home_
users soon want to start doing other things. For example Photo
management and editing, home accounts, family trees, home DTP, maybe
even some home video editing.

It's no longer enough to think of the average home user as someone who
"just" wants to do e-mail, web and word-processing. Those may the things
they do the most often but that doesn't mean we should only address
them. I give one-to-one IT tuition to my immediate social circle. Some
of those use FOSS but almost all of them do (and want to do) more than
the three tasks you mention.[1]

> and do not want to know about constant updates, viruses, or any
> technicalities whatsoever.

Okay so on malware FOSS has the advantage but it still needs updates and
to an end-user is there any apparent difference between Windows Update
and Ubuntu Update Manager?

I'm not saying we shouldn't try or that the educators don't need
educating. I'm just saying there's a lot more to it than "E-mail, Web
and Word".

cheers
Ryan
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss

[1] As an aside, many of these have taken short beginner courses at a
local library or college and nearly all of those seem to come away with
little of what they wanted to learn. I'm not sure if that's a symptom of
them not being used to the learning environment, the class being too big
or if the tuition is just plain crap. :o)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk