[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Jan 23 17:10:06 UTC 2008

Dan Kolb wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:25:14AM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> Oyster Cards were cracked a while ago.  They are surprisingly crude
>> things.  If TfL had spent another tuppence per card, they could have had
>> one with proper encryption.  Instead, they chose the cheapest option...
>
> So, folks, watch out for anyone trying to sneakily hold an RFID reader to your
> pocket....

I know you were (half?) joking  but assuming they do read your Oyster -
what good would it do them?
If they can put the cash on another card then they could do that without
reading yours. If they can only read your card then it does them little
good doesn't it?

This reminded me of the "scam" on BBC's "Real hustle".
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk