[Gllug] Graphics cards/chips detailed specs - where are they?

Ziya Suzen ziya at suzen.net
Wed Jan 9 11:11:25 UTC 2008

Hi there

I recently bought an LCD monitor (Acer AL2416W -
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProductID=661473).
It is very good value for money since it can do 1920x1200... but my
old on board Intel video (82865G) does not seem to be agreeing with
it. The card can do 1920x1200 but not at a timing the monitor expects
(card can do it @75Hz where as monitor only accepts 60Hz).

So, I will have to buy a new card, but I don't want to be in the same
situation again. I have been looking at manufacturers sites, googling
and so on, for the cards I might buy, but there doesn't seem to be any
decent site which would list detailed specifications of the chips or
the card models. Do you know any? Or can anyone suggest a cheap
graphics card that would work with this monitor (you might have the
monitor, or you might know that your card can do 1920x1200 at 60Hz)

(On the other hand I have to say I am quite ignorant about the details
of graphics chips. Maybe new chips handle this timing differently... I
don't know...)

Thanks a lot in advance.

--Ziya
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk