[Gllug] Guardian says Firefox is rubbish

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 06:23:54 UTC 2008

2008/7/5 Jose Luis Martinez <jjllmmss at googlemail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM, michael norman <michaeltnorman at ukfsn.org> wrote:
>> I'll post this here without much comment other than to suggest that as a
>> Guardian reader for several decades it makes me think about buying the
>> Independent
>>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jul/03/firefox.opera
>>
>> Mike
>
> Nice piece  of journalism: extrapolating personal preferences as set
> in stone truisms about development philosophies.
>
> Those media studies schools are not doing their work properly ....
> --

Actually part of me actually agrees (Without reading the article), the
Latest version of Firefox (3.0) has serious flaws.

1. You can only run it once at a time,
2. If your machine get switched off or firefox is not closed
"correctly" firefox will not start again with out removing some very
difficult to find lock files.
3. If you do remove these locks you will lose all your bookmarks and
the url bar will stop working properly.
4. Its written in probably the worst scripting language ever invented,
If it was pure Javascript it would be better.

But IE is no better really, just with different failings....

Peter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk