[Gllug] Corrupt directory

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 20:04:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:

> Peter Corlett wrote:
> > On 16 Jul 2008, at 20:28, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Nautilus won't list the file. At the command line, it is listed
> > > but  only the fileNM and the "d" for directory is sensible,
> > > everything else is described with question marks (access, owner,
> > > group, dates...). rmdir won't shift it. rm responds with: it's a
> > > directory...

Until you mentioned the question marks I'd have continued to assume this
was fixable.

damion at ahostname:~$ ls -l .gvfs
ls: .gvfs: Permission denied
damion at ahostname:~$ ls -ld .gvfs
d--------- 2 damion damion 4096 Jul 17 20:34 .gvfs
damion at ahostname:~$ rm -rf .gvfs
rm: cannot chdir from `.' to `.gvfs': Permission denied
damion at ahostname:~$ rmdir .gvfs

So not exactly the same, rmdir worked for a start and I have - rather
than ? (I assume $LANG isn't set some something bonkers)

I've seen this before on a file/dir and a fsck fixed.  But you need to
use -f for force fsck to run, otherwise it will assume it's clean.

> > That's quite *special*. I've seen that before and a fsck will
> > *usually* fix it, but not if the system's even more mangled than
> > it looks.

Sometimes it'll keep finding errors and repeat fscks slowly eat your
disk.  New format and probably new HD needed.

> Sure enough fsck reports the fs as "clean" and process as "succeeded"
> both at normal boot and single-user mode command line. Booting a Knoppix
> CD (thanks Chris!) and running e2fsck was similarly an exercise in futility.

Double check the filesystem .gvfs is in is mounted RW (touch foo in the
same dir should work).  Try renaming it*, making a new .gvfs and then
reinstalling gvfs might get things working, but you don't want a bit
of corrupted filesystem hanging around really.

*or rename the directory below.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk