[Gllug] Vacancy: MySQL DBA (London)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jul 11 07:27:17 UTC 2008

On 10 Jul 2008, Vidar Hokstad spake thusly:
> I worked at Yahoo! 2003-2005, well before their recent implosion
> started, and HR at Yahoo! had a stated policy of offering raises in
> the 10% a year range for top performers + larger than average options
> grants, while offering _nothing_ to the poorest performers. The
> thought was that losing the poorest performers was a net gain because
> it would allow hiring better people, and giving the top performers
> larger increases _saved money_ because it reduced staff turnover among
> the people who performed well.

Note to companies: this works. Doing this *and* saying `the maximum
raise is 2%', as one place I worked for did once, does *not* work
(although if you're trying to drive the staff away without paying
redundancy, as they were, it might `work' in the long run, but ruin
the company).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk