[Gllug] What's a sound server?

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 00:13:45 UTC 2008

Apparently, pulseaudio is a sound server. So is esd (although that
claims to be a sound mixing server, which gives some clue). But what
do they actually *do*?

This question prompted by the fact that the Intel 82801G produces
precisely zero sound on my new box. Apparently I need to have
pulseaudio running (which I do), but I don't know why. I'm sure Linux
userland has got unnecessarily complex while I haven't been looking...

Tet

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk