[Gllug] Anyone using Virgin Media?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Mar 1 21:04:57 UTC 2008

Justin Perreault wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 11:56 +0000, Ashley Evans wrote:
>> Best I've used in the past few years is Bethere (24meg adsl2 with
>> consistent service, good speeds, cheap, static ip option)
>
> Are you on the Be pro or unlimited?
>
> About the modem Bethere provides, can the wireless be turned off?

One word of warning about using the BeBox on the Be link, the
knuckleheads in their tech department will remotely login to your bebox
and reset it at random times for no apparent reason. When questioned the
response I got was : there were some security scripts being run.

Amazingly, the only time they need to 'run the security scripts' is when
I have a distro rsyncing up/down, saturating the link, over the wire on
what is supposed to be an unlimited b/w connection..... humm... maybe
they are trying to shape traffic ? but since I run rsync at ports >
20000 < 35000 their stock port 0 - > 1024 shapers are not helping in
this case.

So, if you do go with Be, get your own adsl2+ box :D they cost about £20
at your friendly online retail store. Also, having switched from the
Speedtouch that Be provide to some Random NoName Chineese made box, I've
gone from 11MB down to 13MB down. the uplink has stayed at 1.3MB.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk