[Gllug] boot/install errors ... "PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 ..."

Chris Hutchison chris.hutchison at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 17:53:24 UTC 2008

On 17 Mar 2008, at 14:14, James Roberts wrote:

> Chris Hutchison wrote:
>> Good morning, all
>
>> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1.c.2
>> PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:20000 ... [etc]
>> intel_rng: FWH not detected
>> parkbd: no such parport
>
> have a look at
>
> 1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=265132
> 3.
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/intelrng-
> fwh-not-detected-546360/
> 4. http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5603
>
> None of these looks particularly fatal.

Thanks, James--I'd seen those in the course of googling all possible
causes.  They rather restate the problem than point to a solution.

I may well be wrong (this is pure guesswork) but the "intel_rng: FWH
not detected" may have a lot to answer for ... later in the output I
read:

Initialising random number generator
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
ERROR: acpid failed to start
... [etc]
ERROR: hald failed to start
... [etc]
ERROR: gpm failed to start

Significant?

Still losing grey hairs by the second ... :(

> Try booting from a Knoppix c-disk and see if it comes up.
>
> MeJ
>

> --

Chris Hutchison
Richmond upon Thames