[Gllug] PVR Humax or Topfield

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Mar 27 21:37:27 UTC 2008

michael norman wrote:
> I have a Humax pvr, as far as I can see there isn't an app that will let me
> transfer recorded stuff to a linux pc.
>
> I have the option of returning the Humax in exchange for a Topfield (paying
> the difference in cost).
>
> Looking here
>
> http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/linux.php
>
> suggests that Puppy will do what I want. Plus a lot of other Linux stuff.
>
> Anybody running a Topfield pvr who can confirm that Puppy works ?

I haven't tried Puppy, but the other one on that page definitely does.

You're talking a fairly crude interface to the Topfield unit but people
seem to have implemented some quite useful facilities with it.

Even with lots of plugins the Topfield doesn't come close to the
functionality of MythTV, but it is convenient to have it all in one box.
  The biggest annoyance I've come across is that when the Toppy is in
standby it disconnects from the USB i/f and there's no way to wake it up
from the computer end of the link.  You have to go and use the remote
control to wake the Toppy and then you can transfer files to and from it.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk