[Gllug] Changing permissions on removable media

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 19:21:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:56:11 +0000 John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>
wrote:

> What file format is it?  You talk about using it under both Windows
> and Linux which suggests FAT.  If it is FAT then it doesn't
> understand the concept of file ownership and so you can't change the
> ownership.

Yes of course! Stupid of me not to have thought of that. I'm wondering
if it wasn't working properly under SuSE 10.1. What you've written
would suggest that I was kidding myself.

> When you mount a FAT partition on a Linux PC you can ascribe a
> notional owner at the time of mounting, but you can't then change it
> (short of remounting) because there's nothing to change.  You
> probably need to give it a suitable umask when you mount it so that
> any user can read/write it.

How would I make this happen, given that it seems to be just detected
at boot time?

> HTH
> John

It certainly does. Suddenly everything is making sense,

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk