[Gllug] Do modern webpages kill older laptops/PCs?

Matt Blissett matt at blissett.me.uk
Tue May 27 12:53:36 UTC 2008

Alan Pope wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:06:22PM +0100, James Holland wrote:
>> Would anyone care to explain to me (gently!) why all the fuss about top
>> posting? I read my email using the preview pane in Evolution and its
>> much easier to read if someone top-posts rather than having to scroll
>> down through the quoted bit that you've read already! I know it was the
>> norm in usenet days pre-Outlook, but why now??
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting

Something that isn't mentioned, but I think would become very annoying if
top-posting became the norm on technical newsgroups/mailing lists:
archives.  Searching the web for error messages etc often brings up
archived mailing list messages, since the responses are usually in-line it
makes it very easy to follow the discussion.

A useful feature in mail/news programs would be to automatically scroll to
the earliest new (unquoted) text when displaying a new message.  Perhaps
only if the new message References: the previously displayed message.

--
Matt

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk