[Gllug] Debian / Ubuntu SSL vulnerability

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri May 16 10:22:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Chris Bell
<chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> I can't imagine not having serial access to any of my hosted boxen.
>
>   Not having had any need to do this, do you use a dedicated analogue
> modem or a serial line provided by the service provider?

Any hosting company worth their salt will give you a serial console
for any box you host with them. Usually, it's through a terminal
server (although the current fashion seems to be to call them console
or access servers these days, presumably in response to Microsoft
having a product called Terminal Server that does something entirely
different). In days gone by, Cisco AS2511 used to be the common
choice, but they were always horrendously buggy, and had a habit of
halting any Sun kit that was attached to them. I'm using Cyclades (now
Avocent) console servers these days[1]. Depending on how they're
configured, you just ssh in to the console server and are given a menu
from which you select the box you wish to access, or you can just ssh
directly into the serial port of a given machine. Of course, if you
want true OOB access, you can have an alternative route into the
terminal server (usually ISDN or an analogue modem).

Tet

[1] http://www.avocent.com/products/serial-consolemanagement.aspx

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk