[Gllug] Do modern webpages kill older laptops/PCs?

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu May 29 12:39:15 UTC 2008

John G Walker wrote:

> But not all email exchanges are discussions. This is what those who
> oppose top posting under all circumstances, as a matter of principle,
> fail to grasp. They fail to grasp that context and purpose are
> important. Inline posting makes a discussion more readable, certainly,
> but that is wholly different from an email that merely conveys
> information.

May I express >>100% agreement?

*All* our business email - without exception - is sent by top posters.
The body of the previous comment is present so that the email can be
forwarded to another party to rapidly track the *entire* transaction.
Deleting any of the body is a disciplinary offence :)

We reply by top posting. In-the-know recipients only need to read the
top few lines. Others - have the history to refer to.

Suggesting that one imposes bottom posting on the entire commercial
environment of the planet is unrealistic and irrelevant.

But on a mailing list, one should follow conventions and bottom post -
as long as the device in use permits that. If it does not then I would
suggest a handy bucket of water (sorry, not a Blackberry slave).

Horses, courses... and bourses.

MeJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk