[Gllug] Improving image quality of avi files

Cillian de Roiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 15:52:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Chris Bell
<chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 29 Nov, Dylan wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a bunch of avi files captured on a digi-cam. A fair few have poor
> > lighting (but the images themselves are clear, just dark. What apps (if any)
> > could help me to improve the quality? I'm not looking to make them perfect,
> > just relatively easily viewable.

Blender has a very powerful system for colour grading.
http://members.dodo.com.au/iaina/BlenderNodePrimer.pdf sounds like a
good guide on how to use it (I haven't read it myself though). There
should also be plenty of video tutorials available for it too. The
version of Blender shipped with most distros doesn't include ffmpeg
support for restricted codecs so you may want to grab the one from
blender.org instead.
Kdenlive is possibly the easiest to use but won't give you the same
control: http://kdenlive.org/effects

Good luck,
Cillian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk