[Gllug] recover deleted files

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Nov 30 01:22:15 UTC 2008

On 29 Nov 2008, Dan Kolb uttered the following:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 10:04:15PM +0000, Diana Scott wrote:
>>
>> Do you know how to recover deleted files ?
>
> Depends on the filesystem, etc. If you're using ext3, take a look at
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/recovering-a-deleted-file-on-ext3...-almost-there-441914/
> (first google hit for 'ext3 recover deleted files')

With ext3, *not* ext2, if the deletion was sufficiently recent, you can
recover by extracting the previous contents from the journal. Carlo Wood
managed it and wrote some tools to help (us worship him for his
wizardliness): <http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html>.

If you've written more than a few dozen Mb to that filesystem since the
deletion, you're screwed: the data is gone.

> Your best bet is to restore from your most recent backup.

Agreed.

... that reminds me, I should run another backup...

--
`Not even vi uses vi key bindings for its command line.' --- PdS
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk