[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 16:16:19 UTC 2008

--------

"Alan Pope" writes:

>We use version numbers too. 6.06 was before 7.04 which was before
>8.10. Admittedly some people seem keen on using the code names rather
>than the numbers, but we do at least have them.

Yes, but critically, your repositories use codenames, rather than
numbers. So while I happen to know that I'm running dapper on one
of my servers (by looking at sources.list -- Ubuntu seems to lack
an equivalent of /etc/redhat-release), I don't actually know which
version number it is. I had to resort to Wikipedia to find out.
I couldn't find it on the Ubuntu site anywhere[1].

Tet

[1] Although having just checked, I actually can now find this on
    the Ubuntu site. At the time I first encountered the problem,
    I couldn't, so that's obviously improved.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk