[Gllug] Disconnected ssh sessions and pseudo-terminals

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Oct 29 15:06:28 UTC 2008

On 28 Oct 2008, damion yates verbalised:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Ziya Suzen wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I hate my ADSL provider. Connections keep dropping and I
>> loose my SSH connections.
>
> Have you tried looking at ssh keepalive options?  I've had sessions open
> for weeks without issue with mine.  You could change ISPs.  Or perhaps a
> VPN to your shell account can retain an virtual interface and IP despite
> crumbling underlying connections?

Or you could use an ADSL router that supports half-bridged or fully
bridged connections, and manage the firewall (for half bridging) or
firewall and PPP layer (for full bridging) from a Linux box connected to
it.

I guarantee that *that* won't drop your TCP connections merely because
the link went down for a few seconds :)

--
`Not even vi uses vi key bindings for its command line.' --- PdS
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk