[Gllug] job advert

Alison Young ali at anarres-worlds.org
Tue Oct 14 15:09:16 UTC 2008

tid wrote:
> more interesting is the requirement for "a sense of humour". How are
> they going to
> evaluate that and is it a show stopper if the candidate hasn't got one?

I've seen that kind of thing in adverts a few times now, and the
majority of them have come across as bad phrasing for a reasonable
requirement: personal resilience and effectiveness in the face of
pressure with maybe a dash of camaraderie with the rest of the team.

Then there's the other ads, where that phrase is a sign that you'll be
exposed to every bad management practice while being expected to work
miracles by the rest of the company. The expression "If you can't take a
joke, you shouldn't have joined" is what they were actually aiming for.

On a similar topic, one of the strangest requirements I've seen in a job
ad was that any new hire would be expected to join in with the drinking
on Friday nights. Unfortunately I didn't keep a bookmark of it so I
can't check exact wording, but I was really quite surprised that made it
past HR.

> Granted that If you work in Sysadmin, you *need* a sense of humour to
> survive some
> of the stupider things that users & management thrust upon you,
> but you don't see
> many job adverts for doctors saying "must have a sense of humour".

I suspect the medical profession have their own code phrases for their
job ads. Not sure what "workaholic stress-puppy" would be translated to,
though...

Cheers,

Ali

--