[Gllug] ADSL providers

Marcus Taylor marcus at fatbeehive.com
Wed Oct 29 16:38:06 UTC 2008

http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-determine-who-is-faster-isp-dns-or-opendns-servers.html

> How can they possibly be faster than your ISP when traffic *has* to
> make more jumps from you to their DNS servers in the first place -
> you can't take your ISP out of the loop. It defies common sense and
> the laws of physics

There is more than just how long it's takes to get to a server and talk
to it - some servers can be quite slow when in conversation. I have
little doubt that the DNS servers at OpenDns are more efficient and
possibly faster than most ISPs' DNS servers when you actually get to
talk to them.

> Tests I have conducted at home and at a friends prove this - pings
> twice as high using OpenDNS rather than the ISPs servers - how could
> it possibly be otherwise?

You probably should time actual DNS lookups and compare - and at many
times of the day - true your ISP may still be faster.......

As always different people will get different results.

|     Marcus Taylor     |                            Tel: 0207 7398704 |
+-----------------------+                 Email: marcus at fatbeehive.com
| | Systems Administrator |               Web:
http://www.fatbeehive.com | |    Fat Beehive Ltd    | 2nd Floor, 59
Rivington St, London, EC2a 3QQ |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk