[Gllug] SATA card recommendations.

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Thu Oct 2 21:53:19 UTC 2008

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 08:31:12AM -0400, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
>
>> Like IPv6... rather than going from 32 bit for IPv4 up to 64 bits
>> and risking hitting the wall again, they decided to jump right to
>> 128 bits.  This was a good choice because using 128 bits as an
>> unsigned integer, you can use numbers from zero up to
>>
> [more twaddle deleted]
>
> IPv6 gives most people a /64 address, which means that there are
> really 2^64 addresses available.  Still quite a lot, but unfortunately
> the decision to route by prefix reduces the effective address space
> still further.
>
> That's not to say that IPv6 isn't a big improvement over IPv4, but if
> you are going to argue it based on comments about there being a
> bajillion addresses per square inch of the earth or whatever, you're
> just going to come across as someone who doesn't understand it.

On the one hand you are correct, on the other hand I am, on the gripping
hand we both are.  If you are a company that can (and will) use a
significant portion of the /64 address space you are assigned, then
there is a huge benefit and the company will use "one" address in the
remaining 64 bit address space instead of the thousands assigned out of
the 32 bit address space of IPv4.  (Infamous last words here) This
should be plenty for the near future.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk