[Gllug] ADSL providers

Wed Oct 29 13:43:04 UTC 2008

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> Generally OK, though their "support" is a bit variable.  I've had the
> occasional issue with their DNS, but they've mostly been OK.  As with

I read about OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/solutions) and
after running a few informal tests which showed that their servers were
more responsive than my ISP's (the primary I was allocated also seemed
to be the one that was listed as down 'status' most often, too) I locked
a couple of their (European) 'open' DNS addresses into my router and
have never looked back.

Attractive comment: it is FREE!

More 'services' have been added since those days. One which occasionally
rankles is that they will 'hi-jack' a request to a non-resolving
'address' and present a search-list of suggested solutions of their own.
Such brought the house down on Verisign when they tried it. It can
sometimes be useful, but after they 'add to' the URL a simple typo
requires more effort to correct than simply adding a missing letter, or
whatever. YMMV!

Certainly my ISP have raised no objection.

If anyone has more good/bad comment on their service, I'll be interested
to hear...

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk