[Gllug] Linux migration in small businesses

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Mon Sep 1 15:52:41 UTC 2008

Garry Heaton wrote:
> How easy is it to get small businesses (eg. 5-30 users) to switch from
> slow/failing Windows/SBS/Exchange servers to Linux SAMBA/Postfix
> equivalents?

I replaced a relatively large workgroup (25+ clients, servers, printers,
MTA, shared drives on user machines) in one evening, that evening being
the day Windows locked out directors of a just-merged company's systems
for not having enough client access licenses.

When faced with the fact that Microsoft had effectively held their
products (and therefore their company) to ransom on their busiest day, I
was given carte blanc to do whatever was necessary to ensure it never
happened again. And boy, did I made sure it didn't.

Had they used Exchange, it would have taken longer.

> Anyone had much success in generating this kind of business?

While I do offer doing the above as a service to my clients, anectodally
what I've found is that while its not broke, they don't want it fixed
(especially at my rates!) I see more success migrating after hard drive
failures, completely new installations, and dividing labour out from a
single Windows server spreading fairly transparent load issues.

Mind, I only do business work where I already do private work for the
owner, so I've no experience cold-selling a Linux migration.

Best wishes,
--
Alistair Mann
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk