[Gllug] Keyboard amendments

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 11:44:06 UTC 2009

On 22 Apr 2009, at 12:13, John G Walker wrote:

> From your "new message":
>
> From: john gennard <4bowley0 at clara.co.uk>
> To: Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
>

> If it was genuinely a new message, then there would have been no
> "In-Reply-To" header. You replied to a message from Jose Luis
> Martinez,

To explain further...

Every email has an id which you don't see.

When you reply to a message in your mail client, it will insert an In-
Reply-To header, with the ID of the message you were replying to.

So when you hit 'reply' on JLM's message, removed the contents and
then wrote your own message, it was marked as being a reply rather
than being a new mail in its own right.

My mail client threads based upon In-Reply-To and thus it confuses me
when I see an unrelated message in the thread.

I hope that clarifies for you. Please try not to misthread in future.

Cheers,
--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk