[Gllug] Maintaining music libraries in various formats

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Fri Aug 21 09:00:44 UTC 2009

2009/8/21 Andrew Roberts <ar at nooneishere.co.uk>:
> 2009/8/21 Jon Dye <jon at pecorous.co.uk>
>>
>> Thanks for all the suggestions so far, they are all good ideas for my
>> first requirement but none so far have mentioned my desire to copy
>> changes in metadata (tags) back from the mp3s/oggs to the originals.
>> I didn't think it would be that straightforward.
>
> There are linux utilities to retrieve and set ID3 tag information. See:
>   http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/MP3-HOWTO-13.html

Sorry, maybe I wasn't very clear in my original email.  I have a
tendency to waffle.

I have knowledge of shell scripting and with programming various
languages (both interpreted and compiled) and I know about the
existence of various transcode tools and libraries and tag reading and
writing tools and libraries.  I was going to write a python script to
monitor the relevant directories (perhaps with inotify or whatever it
is called or just polling) and then spawn various transcode or tags
tools or libraries as required.  I thought I'd see if anyone had any
hints for frameworks or tools that would make this easier than rolling
my own.

JD
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk