[Gllug] Wireless kit recommendation

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Aug 3 19:37:11 UTC 2009

On Mon Aug  3 15:08 , "t.clarke"  sent:
<snip>

>Regrettably, I think its a case of suck it and see with routers - ADSL
>technology would seem to be a case of putting a quart in a pint pot.  Despite
>the claims of 8mbps I believe only the lucky few within reasonable proximity of
>the exchange actually get that.

Tim,
  My understanding is that if you can hit the exchange with a thrown rock from
your telephone line termination box (Main BT connection into the house) you
should be able to get the full advertised speed.  Anything beyond this distance
will result in "signal degradation" and you will lose bandwidth.  Since <5% of
the population live within a stones throw of their exchange, I think advertising
their DSL as 8Mbps is a bit like advertising a Mini (Morris or BMW) as being a
200+ mph car just because if you drop it from high enough it will hit that speed.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk