[Gllug] Linux workstation admin simpler than OS X

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Aug 2 10:50:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 19:26 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> Don't worry - I work for Red Hat and I loathe NetworkMangler too.  It
> has started to routinely "lose" the ethernet connection on my Fedora
> 11 machine.  Which is something of an achievement given it's a fixed,
> wired network and my DHCP server gives that machine a fixed IP
> assignment every time.  ie. The simplest possible case for network
> management.
>
> It's also written in python, so it consumes buckets of memory doing
> whatever it is that python does to consume huge amounts of memory for
> any trivial task.  It's using over 100MB of memory on that machine
> right now, to manage a fixed network that doesn't need to be managed.
> Unreliably.

NM was a disaster in the last couple of versions of Ubuntu - so much so
that newbies were often advised to replace it with WICD.

I found that NM wouldn't handle my WPA2 wireless network reliably in the
version supplied by Ubuntu 8.04.  This was obviously a showstopper for
my wife's Vaio laptop (having just weaned her off Windows).  WICD solved
all the problems, and a year later, she's happy to maintain her Ubuntu
install herself!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk