[Gllug] Alan Turing petition

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Aug 6 08:01:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 19:34 +0100, JLMS wrote:
> > How would an apology for the treatment of Turing be meaningful now?

> I could list many examples in which such apologies actually matter,
> but I think the list don't deserve to veer so far off topic, so I draw
> my line regarding this right here.

You didn't answer my specific question as to how an apology for the
treatment of Turing would be meaningful now though.

The fact is that our society's treatment of gay people is very different
now to what it was in Turing's day. On the whole, society has recognised
the evils of such maltreatment and changed as a result.

If the state continued to criminalise homosexuality or act against gay
people demanding an apology might be a step towards remedying that. I
just don't see what the point is in this case given how different
society is now.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk