[Gllug] Maintaining music libraries in various formats

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Fri Aug 21 08:37:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/8/20  <damion.yates at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Jon Dye wrote:
>
>> Because file space is cheap I had a crazy idea to keep a directory of
>> originals on the network and then to run a periodic script to build a
>> directory of mps3 or oggs from the originals.  This would save time
>> transcoding
>
> Why is your transcoding so slow?  I've just done a quick test against a
> 1.5GB wav file (2h14m50s) and converting to mp3 takes 30seconds creating
> a file which is 128M which will take a little while to copy on to a
> FAT32 USB disk anyway.  I'd transcode on demand myself.

My transcoding is slow because my PC is slower than yours!  It's an
MSI Titan with a VIA C7 Series, 2.0GHz processor.  The other PC is a
Viglen MPC-L with a 400MHz AMD Geode processor which is even slower.

It took me a couple of hours on my Titan to transcode 3 CD's worth of
flacs to my girlfriend's iPod.

> *update*  Okay, I now checked flac to ogg and that took 3m36.518s so
> that is unacceptably slow.  Still faster than USB1.1 which some mp3
> players might still be?
>
> Anyway plenty of others have agreed and shown example scripts.
> Personally I like my 40% left of my 1TB NAS and don't fancy eating 10%
> on a lower encoded version of stuff I may or may not play.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, they are all good ideas for my
first requirement but none so far have mentioned my desire to copy
changes in metadata (tags) back from the mp3s/oggs to the originals.
I didn't think it would be that straightforward.

JD
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk