[Gllug] Mains Ethernet Adapters

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:22:02 UTC 2009

Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm looking for an update on this thread from June 2009.
>
> Has anyone tried the Netgear XAVB101 kit?
>
> Any comments on it?

I've went and got a non-brand one instead for home, because the kit was
half the price of the Netgear, and it works well for me. Speed tests
showed I was only getting 15-17Mbits out of it from my loft to the
ground floor and 21Mbits from the first to ground floor, Not amazing but
fine for most needs and much more reliable, I've found it is comparable
to in reliability to having an ethernet cable, no problems.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160665

(it got 5 stars out of 5)

I remember Netgear getting poor reviews on performance, probably because
people didn't realize that there was marketing hype regarding the speed,
eg 200Mbits was really just 100Mbits in either direction, and that was
the theoretical, which usually runs at 30-40Mbits in real life, and
given non-ideal conditions you could expect even less than that... so I
figured if I wasn't going to get great speed anyway, and they are rated
as the same speed, so I may as well get the same thing for half the
price ...

In my case, distance between sockets seemed to make a difference. Also,
don't plug them in through multi-plugs as that slows it down further in
my tests.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon