[Gllug] IPv6 and firewalls

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Wed Aug 12 09:34:25 UTC 2009

On 12 Aug 2009, at 10:14, Joel Bernstein wrote:

> On 11 Aug 2009, at 23:48, Chris Bell wrote:
>>  There is likely to be a relatively slow initial uptake of IPv6, but
>> reaching a critical tipping point when significant numbers of sites
>> are
>> unable to obtain IPv4 addresses and compatibility is required. This
>> would be
>> similar to needing an OS replacement juust to be able to read
>> correspondence
>> received in the next version of word.
>
> No. No, it really isn't similar to that.
>
> Straw men aside, is there any reason to put public sites on IPv6 right
> now?

To tempt people to adopt it with FREE PORN?

http://www.ipv6experiment.com/ (now defunct)

And I don't think it ever worked anyway. And it was a daft idea. And
one of ~ 30 sites using ipv6 on the whole internet (I imagine most
ipv6 sites are mirrors of linux distributions).

> You seem to want to use it purely for NAT traversal purposes, AIUI,
> when IPv6 would obviate the need for NAT.

You may not be restricted on addresses any longer but perhaps you
don't want some things public facing (or perhaps they'll bill you
extra for a block of IPs (which seems odd considering I just got given
a block of 8 v4 IPs for free because I asked).

OTOH, a convenient replacement for DHCP seems tempting.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk