[Gllug] performance difference between a swap partition vs a swap file.>>>>>

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Dec 2 17:02:09 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, 2 Dec 2009, Alain Williams wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 10:39:23AM +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
>>33GB swap partition sounds insane, perhaps you have a very large amount of
>I still hear people saying ''I allocate as much swap as I have RAM''.
>I have never understood this rule of thumb,

Various Unixen (including early Linux 2.4s, SunOS 4.x) had a technical
requirement for swap to be 2xRAM. Garbled versions of this probably
have given rise to this rule of thumb.

It's not a bad starting point, though. It doesn't often make a lot of
sense if you're thinking "how much might I use", but if you don't know
how much you might use but are instead thinking "how much could I use
before the system becomes unfeasibly slow", that leads you more to a
swap/RAM ratio than an absolute quantity.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
And now, a seemingly inexplicable shot of a passing train.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk