[Gllug] Have recent kernels improved power consumption

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Dec 14 06:55:22 UTC 2009

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook on which I ran Lenny (2.6.26) to begin
with.  It settled down to an estimated (and apparently fairly accurate)
battery life of about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Recently I've upgraded it to Squeeze (2.6.30) and I've noticed that the
estimated battery life seems to have increased to about 2 hours 30
minutes.  I actually put it to the test last night by leaving it
running, and although I didn't run the battery right down, it certainly
seemed to be on course to last significantly longer than before.

I'm wondering why.  Have there been improvements to power management in
recent kernels?  Or improvements to ancillary bits?  I presume it's not
just that the battery has suddenly got better.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk