[Gllug] Technology and UK Education

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Wed Dec 30 13:45:56 UTC 2009

On 30/12/2009 12:37, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On 30/12/2009 12:15, Walter Stanish wrote:
>
>>>    I was told that if anyone wished to provide a service to or for schools
>>> it is now a government requirement that they should bid for a total
>>> comprehensive contract, providing everything from building and building
>>> maintenance services to waste management as well as educational facilities.
>>> Start by finding a plumber, an electrician, a bricklayer, and a roofer.
>>>
>> I'm not sure if you have them in this country but in Australia there's a
>> sort of 'parent and citizen' group associated with each government school
>> which has some degree of lobbying power as the representative body of the
>> local community in school administrative affairs.
>>
> We have the Parent Teacher Association.

PTAs are a possible route into schools. for FOSS. They do a lot of
fundraising and are likely to be sympathetic to any suggestions for
saving money. They may have people with some knowledge of Linux,
although that's a long shot. All of them would appreciate some
tech-savvy volunteers. Or any volunteers.

There's another route. Most schools use interactive whiteboards, often
in every classroom. The market-leader is Smartboards distributed in the
UK by Steljes (www.steljes.co.uk)

The manufacturer Smart (http://smarttech.com/) does have some Linux
driver software but Steljes don't have the resources (or as far as I
know the will) to support it in the UK. FOSS will get nowhere in UK
schools unless all of the major interactive whiteboard brands have
adequate Linux support. It's a cool technology and hasn't really
penetrated much outside of the education sector in the UK.

bap at shrdlu.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk