[Gllug] Battery-backed SAS controllers

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Dec 16 22:17:25 UTC 2009

On 14 Dec 2009, Rich Walker said:

> Andy Smith <andy at strugglers.net> writes:
>
>> Hi Rich,
>
>>> I have a battery-backed RAM PCI card sitting on a shelf at work. Bought
>>> off Ebay for a server that it doesn't fit. Email me on Monday and I'll
>>> dig out the details.
>>
>> Thanks for the offer, but about 600GiB of storage is required, so
>> actual rotational media is most likely required.
>
> This is the battery-backed RAM cache from some kind of disk store
> unit. I assume that under Linux you'd partition it, and use each
> partition as the journal for a separate rotating file system.

That wouldn't help avoid the failure mode which RAID controllers have
battery backing to avoid (power failure while a stripe is partially
written on several drives, but different amounts are written on each),
unless of course journal guided resync lands (in which case you don't
need battery backing at all, just ordinary md).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk