[Gllug] Tape backups

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 11:29:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 05:06:29AM +0000, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Gordon Joly <gordon.joly at pobox.com> wrote:
>> At 22:20 +0000 16/2/09, James Hawtin wrote:
>>>
>>>Do you make use the of lvm snapshot facility to minimise the ammount of time
>>>your filesystem is unavailable?
>>>
>>> James
>>
>> And stop mysql?
>>
>> Gordo
>
> Pardon my MySQL ignorance, is there no way to backup  the database
> while it is live? (I have not done serious backup work for a while, I
> have got the impression that Sybase and Oracle can be backed up on the
> fly, am I mistaken?).

Yes, there is mysqldump. You can run it just before the backup
is made.

I don't know what Gordo's problem with MySQL and backups is.
I only guess I can make is that he thinks there is a problem
with making the MySQL backup just before taking a snapshot
of the filesystem using lvm.

Large or busy MySQL databases could take a long time to dump,
and so the database backup would not match the filesystem. This
could be a problem where the database acts records data about
files, and so the two must match and be frozen/snapshotted/backup
together.

Or maybe Gordo was thinking about something else?