[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Fri Feb 20 14:57:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, February 20, 2009 2:48 pm, Balbir Thomas wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:31 AM, James Laver <gllug at jameslaver.com> wrote:
>> London is a great place for building a career. If you want to own your
>> own
>> flat inside of it, however, then you need to be picky about salary.
>
> James, that is lot of very useful information to someone new around here
> like me and I am sure to others too.
>
> I am presonally very grateful for your efforts.
>
> warm regards
> bt

I'm still of the opinion that working for others isn't going to make you
good money.

It seems like you either have to be a contractor or run a successful
company not contracting to make good money. Only a minority get rich from
shares obtained from startups (mine are worthless bits of paper I'm
certain, much as it pains me to confess my wasted time).

The contracting market is excellent, but you have to really know your
tech, know how to make your CV appealing to employers and know where to
pitch yourself. If your non-contracting company makes it big, however, the
returns are even bigger.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk