[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:43:19 UTC 2009

Hi,

> You're talking, conservatively, about an increase of 90 minutes
> travelling time per day.

How did you calculate that?

Real example:

I lived in Cricklewood, and travelled to Docklands.  Journey was about
50 mins door-to-door, so 100 mins a day.  The tube was packed, and I
could rarely even read.

Now let's take a job in Reading.  The job is 15 mins walk from the
station, and the train journey itself takes 30 mins.  So
notwithstanding the trip to Paddington from my old house, the commute
is slightly shorter.  Now, I know from experience that it takes about
30 mins to get to paddington from my old house.  So ok, we've added 60
mins a day.  However, the train journey gives me 60 mins comfortable
travel on a not-crowded train, with a table, and even electricity.
GPRS works for most of the journey.

So what have I done?  I've given myself an hour's quality reading /
studying time a day, and a decent payrise.  Not bad.

> If anything the location of a company tells you a lot
> about how much it cares about its staff...

If I may take a leaf out the the esteemed Mr Brook's book... Bollocks.

S.

--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director