[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 17:09:15 UTC 2009

Hi,
> I'm not alone in having spent
> a damn long time learning my craft and I'm somewhat put out that someone
> of my standard should be expected to work for a salary that won't cover a
> mortgage on a two-bed and still allow me to live a comfortable lifestyle.

Isn't that just market forces?  I didn't hear anyone complaining when
moderately skilled LAMP admins were picking up contracts at £700 a
day.  The market contracts, people are prepared to be paid less.
Don't take it personally.

> I'm a simple man. I'd like to own the property I live in, be able to eat
> out regularly, keep quality food and drink in the house and put a bit of
> money in the bank for when I'm not being paid so well. If you think that's
> unreasonable, I don't know what you want in life.

Unless I've misread this thread, I'm not aware of anyone suggesting
that's an unreasonable ambition - care to point me to where they did?

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director