[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Feb 13 11:52:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:45:43AM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <dan at berrange.com> wrote:
>
> > I like to class Python, as 'The VisualBasic' of the Linux world. Great
> > for writing toys, not great for serious work;-P I seriously regret writing
> > virt-manager in python now. It allowed me to get something pretty working
> > very quickly, but it has been a long term maintainence disaster of horrific
> > proportions.
>
> So with the benefit of hindsight, which language would you have chosen
> instead? I'm the first to admit that python has many faults. But I'm
> not seeing an alternative that's clearly better. Ruby has syntax that
> doesn't play nicely with my brain *and* is horrendously slow. If you
> suggest perl will not lead to a maintenance disaster, I will laugh
> long and hard at you. PHP is worse. Beyond that, you're probably into
> the realms of esoteric[1] languages, like Haskell, Erlang, OCaml and
> so on.

As I mentioned in my other mail, all scripting languages suffer from
more or less the same problem, of only finding errors at runtime. So
choose the one which you can most easily do automated testing of. Perl
has by far the best testing capabilities, but of course Perl really
really *needs* them (even more than most scripting languages). Or
choose a language which gives you good compile time checking instead.

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|