[Gllug] SCSI card recommendation

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Jan 21 12:27:05 UTC 2009

Well, if we're allowed to tell hairy old stories...

Many years ago I ran a project to develop a system for Bristol and West
Estate Agents (when B&W had an estate agency wing) which allowed customers
to view properties on a colour screen!  They could have glorious
customised 8-bit colour photos of each property (which required a VRAM
upgrade).

The system had been rolled out to quite a few branches when one phoned in
one morning to report a whole pile of inexplicable problems.  All sorts of
bits of the system weren't working, but the people in the branch were
baffled as to why not.  After quite a bit of conversation, my chap asked
something like, "Are you *sure* the server is OK?" to which the response
was, "Yes, it's definitely fine - they've pumped all the water out now."

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk