[Gllug] SCSI card recommendation

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Jan 20 14:07:15 UTC 2009

On 20 Jan 2009, at 13:34, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> To work with CentOS 4.
> Needs to be low-profile.

More importantly, what are you connecting it to?

Narrow or wide SCSI? Single-ended, HVD or LVD? Bog standard 10MB/s, or
Ultra 320? How many internal or external connectors? What kind of
connector? Do you need to boot off it?

Low-profile is almost the least of your worries :)

> What have you had good results with?

Adaptec SCSI kit seems to just work for me. I can't speak for bleeding-
edge stuff, but the less new stuff is very well-supported in Linux
(and every other OS out there.)

eBay ID 260337421729 looks suspiciously like the half-height version
of the card I have in my Debian box for reading data from old kit. I
needed to spend another fiver or so on a cable to hook it to my
antique narrow SCSI kit.

You might also wish to consider a USB SCSI adaptor, which sidesteps
the issue of acquiring an obscure low-profile card.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk