[Gllug] Decent 64-bit linux distro

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:44:13 UTC 2009

2009/1/31 John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>

> > Does anyone else get my impression that the 64-bit versions of the
> popular
> > distros are afterthoughts which aren't tested properly?
>
> Definitely not the case for Debian.  I haven't tried any others.

I'll put a vote in for SuSE. They employed someone to do the porting to
AMD-64, who came to GLLUG To give a talk a few years ago. SuSE was the first
to bring out a 64 bit distro, and it has always been stable and performed
well. I've been using it for five years - since I think OpenSuSE 9 and SLES
9, thrrough to OpenSUSE 10.1 and 10.3 Will probably be going to 11.1 at home
real soon.