[Gllug] Red Hat versus other qualifications

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Jul 2 15:12:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:59:38AM +0100, Joel wrote:

> IME Linux certification isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

I've looked at the LPI certifications and although I have some stylistic
objections to some of their questions (egregious use of cat, for
example), the overall range and depth of the questions is quite good.
A certification isn't going to guarantee skill but it can indicate a
basic level of knowledge and application.  I've had people apply for
senior UNIX sysadmin jobs who didn't know what fstab was - that level of
ignorance wouldn't survive the basic LPI test.

I'm not impressed by the prejudice against certifications among many
geeks.  At some levels of the business, Software Engineering is one of
the last refuges of the cowboy and too many people who should know
better seem to relish the lack of standards and general shoddy practice.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock