[Gllug] experiences with mobile broadband devices?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:42:26 UTC 2009

2009/6/29 Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org>:
> On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 19:18 +0200, Christof Meerwald wrote:
>> What pings/latency do you get from your connection? A friend of mine
>> mentioned some time ago that pings over his mobile broadband connection were
>> just around 60-70 ms (which sounds acceptable to me) over HSDPA/HSUPA (in
>> Austria via T-Mobile).
>
> Latency is hugely variable. At best it's about 60ms however it can be at
> that level one second and then 2000ms the next without any change on my
> part.
>
>> Isn't part of the problem that the UK networks don't widely support HSUPA
>> yet (and you just get HSDPA with higher latencies).
>
> The problem is not just the reliance of HSDPA as the "best available"
> service in the UK but rather that the network operators are still
> running their networks for voice and sms and have not really done enough
> work to re-engineer the networks to facilitate decent mobile data
> services.

I know a considerable amount about 3G and GSM networks having
implemented both stacks in software. What exact "re-engineering" is
needed ? I am not aware of any such re-engineering work happening, or
even considered as being needed.

There are very good reasons for the ping latency. A lot of it is due
the the fact that it is a radio network and not cable.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk