[Gllug] Seeking some laptop advice

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jun 5 09:33:41 UTC 2009

On 06/05/2009 09:12 AM, tid wrote:
> My experience* of the Acer midrange Aspires differs from this: They're
> cheap enough, but have poor battery life and varying screen problems.
> No-one reports anything positive about them. YMMV

I got an Acer Ferrari 4005 wayback in Nov 2005, its still with me and
works quite well - the build quality has been far better than what Apple
iBooks from that time had, or what most dell kit have ever had. The only
machines I've seen with better build quality have been some of the newer
IBM X series and a couple of the HP machines. During this time, however
I've had to replace the battery ( after 2 years, it would take 3 hrs to
charge, then 15 min to loose it ). With the new battery I would get 1hr
45 min to just under 2 hours, with this replace new battery I get about
an hour and 20 min.

Also, I second the 'general' Acer experience - most of their range is
massproduced, and it meets the spec for a cheap machine, does most
things but dont expect great things from them. Even their upper end
Ferrari models etc are not things I'd buy, in todays markets. I have no
idea about their netbook's - some people say those are quite nice machines.

On the other hand, plenty of people here seem to think Dell produce good
laptops - I beg to differ. Most dell kit is built as cheap as possible (
even if it looks good ), and it looks and feels it - including the much
hyped Alienware lines. Its not uncommon to see 'loose keys', cracked
plastic, components that just seem to move a bit, battery doors that
have just that slight gap, display' hinges that just dont move smoothly
- on Dells that are 6 - 8 months old, have been actually used as
portables. And this is mostly based on personal experience. One of the
places I do some consulting with are an exclusive Dell client, have
about 150 laptops and regularly buy a few more every month.

btw, Lenovo and Fujitsu still produce some decent kit as well these days.

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk